A Solid Educational Background
In 2009, I graduated with honors from the University of Rhode Island with a B.A. in English. In May 2013, I earned a Master’s Degree in Professional Writing from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where I completed the program with a perfect 4.0 GPA.
A Wealth of Experience
I am currently the Marketing Coordinator for MAB Community Services, a non-profit umbrella organization comprised of the Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (MABVI), the oldest organization in the country to serve blind adults; the Ivy Street School, a private day and residential school for students with autism, brain injury, and other neurological or behavioral challenges; and Adult Disability Services, which helps adults with disabilities to live full, satisfying lives in the community. Within MABVI is Team With A Vision, an international team of blind and sighted runners who each year compete at the Boston Marathon and other races throughout the year to raise funds and awareness for the organization. MABVI also contains United in Stride, an online resource that connects runners, joggers, and walkers who are visually impaired with sighted guides across the U.S. and Canada.
I coordinate the marketing, communications, and PR efforts for all these programs, including but not limited to:
- Social Media – actively maintaining numerous active Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube accounts for each program
- Press – writing releases and engaging with media to promote our programs
- Constant Contact – writing, designing, and distributing e-newsletter, event invitations, appeals, and other electronic communication
- Website Management – updating all program websites in Joomla and WordPress
- MABVI’s Insight Blog – curating content, including writing as well as recruiting and editing guest bloggers on topics relevant to the visually impaired community
- Media Library – managing all programs’ extensive photo and video libraries, including taking and editing photographs and video
- Print Collateral – writing, designing, and/or working with outside vendors on collateral include Annual Reports, flyers, invitations, and brochures
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising – managing the Ivy Street School’s Google AdWords campaign
Previously I have worked as a writing tutor for both undergraduate and graduate college students, as well as supervising student tutors and running workshops on grammar and style.
A Core Philosophy
I believe that sometimes the importance of quality writing in a business setting can be overlooked, but effective communication is crucial to any organization, large or small. Whether it be informing the public of a new scientific breakthrough or explaining to users how to operate a product, the written word is the medium through which ideas are spread. As a writer, I ensure that such information is conveyed effectively and efficiently.